The official Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow official update is now live for all the US Cellular Galaxy S5 smartphones. Check the instructions listed in this tutorial in order to learn how to successfully flash the new official update manually without waiting for the firmware files to arrive over-the-air.
Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow OTA Update is rolled out in stages which means that not all users are getting the new firmware updates at the same time. If you don’t want to wait until the official update arrive over-the-air, then you can use the Odin3 app in order to flash the new Marshmallow firmware files.
Before starting the installation process you should check the following guidelines:
- use this post only for the Samsung Galaxy S5 US Cellular variants.
– the model number of your phone has to be SM – G900R4.
– this version can be verified by going to Settings About Phone section.
- don’t try to flash any file listed in this post on any other different Android devices.
- download Samsung USB Drivers from here and install them on your computer.
– these drivers are needed by the Odin app in order to connect your PC with the smartphone.
- for Odin to open on your device you will need to have the USB Debugging enabled under the Developer Options section.
– if you cannot find the Developer Options section under Settings, then you will have to enable it first by going to Settings About Phone and tapping 7 times on the Build Number section.
– return to Settings, scroll down and there you should find the Developer Options.
- you can flash the update over rooted firmware, but you need to know that root access will not survive the update.
– also, any custom Recovery is going to be replaced with a stock Recovery image.
- the official update firmware file can be installed over custom ROMs, too.
– after you do that you will be forced to ‘factory reset’ your US Cellular Galaxy S5 device.
– the ‘factory reset’ steps should be applied only if you install the update over a custom ROM.
– all the factory reset steps are listed at the end of this post.
– factory resetting the device is going to remove the custom ROM and wipe the system partition, as this will allow the official Android 6.0.1 ROM to boot in normal mode.
- if your smartphone runs 100% stock Android firmware, then you can continue straight to the next part of this post and start the update right away.
- use this post only if you are an advanced user, as we cannot be blamed in case you brick the phone nor in case you lose any data in the process.
- read the whole post and do not skip any steps.
- check the battery charge level and make sure that it is over 50%, as it will prevent the phone from powering off during the first boot of Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow OS.
Since you’ve read all of the above you can continue to the next part of this post.
How to install Android 6.0.1 for US Cellular Galaxy S5:
- Download the G900R4VXU2CPD2 Android 6.0.1 firmware archive from here.
- Extract the contents from the archive and save the obtained files on your computer.
– you will get the G900R4VXU2CPD2 tar.md5 firmware file.
– do not extract the tar.md5 archive.
- Download Odin3 v3.10.7 from here.
– extract the Odin files and save them on your computer.
- Power off your phone.
- Boot the Galaxy S5 USC device in Download Mode.
- Open Odin exe on your PC.
- Connect the phone to computer via usb cable.
– wait for the SGS5 to be detected and then continue to the next step.
– if the phone is not detected you will need to reinstall the Samsung usb drivers.
- Go back to Odin’s main screen and open “options”. Disable ‘re-partition’.
– if that was already disabled you can get to the next step.
– do not edit any other default Odin settings.
- In Odin click the AP button in order to browse your PC for the updating file.
- Find the G900R4VXU2CPD2 tar.md5 firmware update and load it in ODIN.
- Click START to initiate the Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow OTA Update installation.
– do not press any buttons until the update is done completing.
- When the new update is flashed you will see the PASS alert in ODIN and your phone will reboot.
– the first boot process of this new ROM is going to take at least ten minutes to complete.
- Use your usual login info in order to regain control over your smartphone once again.
These were all the steps that you had to take.
Unplug the phone from PC when the “optimizing apps” boot screen appears, as that 100% confirms that the Android 6.0.1 Update was successful.
If you encounter any problems during installation you should check the extra info listed in this post.
If the FAIL alert is shown by ODIN or any other error impedes the completion of Android 6.0.1 update, then you should repeat the whole tutorial more than once.
If you repeat installation you need to make sure that your phone meets all requirements and that you won’t be skipping any steps in the process.
If the PASS alert is displayed, then the update was successful. If the phone then doesn’t go past the boot animation screen or it enters in a boot loop, then you will be forced to ‘factory reset’ the smartphone.
If you have installed the Android 6.0.1 update over a custom ROM, then you will also need to ‘factory reset’ the device, so that you will make it boot it normal mode.
Here’s how to ‘factory reset’ the Galaxy S5 US Cellular device:
- power off the device.
- boot it in Recovery Mode.
- select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’.
- reboot your smartphone in normal mode.
If you need any ore help you can tell us in comments.
Samsung Galaxy S5 Articles