Verizon has released the official Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow OTA Update for all the Galaxy Note 5 users. If you are looking to update your device manually, then this is the tutorial that you should use.
The new Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow Update comes with tons of improvements and it is released over-the-air for all Stock Verizon Note 5 devices. If you don’t want to wait until the update arrives in your region, then you will be forced to try and install the update manually using the Odin app.
Before starting the installation process you should check the following guidelines:
- this guide has to be used for all the Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5 devices.
– check your phone’s model under Settings About Phone and make sure that the SM – N920V version is listed there.
- don’t attempt to update any other devices with the files that you will find in this post.
- download Samsung USB Drivers here and install them on your computer.
– without these drivers you cannot connect the phone to PC.
- Odin is a small app that has been created to help Samsung users update their devices manually without waiting for the official firmware upgrade to arrive over-the-air.
– for the Odin app to run on your PC you need to have those usb drivers installed on your PC.
– also, make sure to disable any official Samsung app from running on your computer, as it will try to block Odin from connecting with your phone.
- for Odin to be able to connect with the PC you should enable USB Debugging from Developer Options on your phone.
– if the Developer Options isn’t listed under Settings you should unhide it first: go to Settings About Phone and tap 7 times on the Build Number section.
– return to Settings, scroll down and there you should find the Developer Options.
– open Developer Options and find USB Debugging to enable it.
- if your phone is rooted, then you will lose root access after the update is done.
– if you’ve installed a custom Recovery, then you will see it replaced with stock Recovery image.
- you can flash the update over custom ROMs, too, but you will have to apply a ‘factory reset’ process for your smartphone.
– the ‘factory reset’ wipes clean the system partition, as it removes the old custom ROM and it will allow your phone to boot in normal mode after the update is done.
– the ‘factory reset’ has to be applied after the new Android 6.0.1 firmware is installed successfully.
– factory resetting the device won’t remove any data from the internal storage of your phone.
- if your smartphone sports 100% stock Android firmware, then you can get to the next part of this post right away.
- you should install the new update manually only if you are an advanced user, as we cannot be blamed in case you brick the phone nor in case you lose any important data in the process.
- read the whole post and do not skip any steps.
- check your phone’s battery power levels, make sure that there is at least 50% charge left, so that you will prevent the phone from powering off while it boots Android 6.0.1 OS for the first time.
How to flash Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow N920VVRU2BPD4 OTA Update for Verizon Galaxy Note 5:
- Download the N Android 6.0.1 update archive from here.
- After the download is done you can extract the files from the firmware archive.
– save the extracted files on your computer.
– the Marshmallow tar.md5 firmware update file will be extracted, don’t extract any further than that.
- Download Odin3 v3.10.7 zip from here.
– after the download is done you can unzip the file.
– save the files on your PC.
- Power off the phone.
- Boot your phone in Download Mode.
- Launch the Odin app on your computer.
- Connect the Verizon Note 5 with your phone via usb cable.
– wait for the phone to be added by Odin.
– if the phone is not detected you will need to reinstall the Samsung USB Drivers.
- Go to Odin’s Options tab and disable the ‘Re-Partition’ option.
– do not change any other default Odin settings.
- Now, click the AP button in Odin.
– you will be asked to locate and load the updating file.
- Find the Marshmallow tar.md5 firmware, load it in ODIN.
- Press the START button in order to confirm the Android 6.0.1 updating process.
– don’t press any buttons until all the files are done installing.
- When the update is done you can see the PASS alert shown by ODIN. The Galaxy Note 5 device should also reboot in normal mode.
- Unplug the phone from PCc when the “optimizing apps” boot screen is displayed.
- Use your default login info in order to regain complete control over your device once again.
I hope that you’ve managed to complete the installation of Android 6.0.1 update for your Galaxy Note 5 Verizon phone.
In case the FAIL alert is shown by ODIN, then you will be forced to retry the whole installation process. Make sure that you won’t skip any steps and that your phone meets all requirements listed above the tutorial.
If the PASS alert is shown by ODIN, but your phone is unable to go past the boot animation, then you will be forced to apply the ‘factory reset’ process.
The ‘factory reset’ has to be applied by those that have installed the update over a custom ROM, too. This will force their device to boot in normal mode. Here’s how to do it:
- power off the phone.
- boot it in Recovery Mode.
- select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’.
- confirm process.
- reboot the device in normal mode and you’re done.
Samsung Galaxy Note 5 Articles