The official Android 5.1.1 Lollipop OTA Update is now live for all the Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini US Cellular models.
Check the info in this post in order to learn how to successfully flash the new Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow update for your device. This update is being rolled out over the air, but it won’t be sent to all users at the same time, which is why you can choose to flash such firmware update using the Odin app.
The 5.1.1 Lollipop firmware version that is found in this post has the build date set for late-April 2016. It is always best for you to run the latest possible firmware on your device, and if you don’t want to wait for the OTA roll out to arrive in your region, then you should first check the guidelines below:
- use this post only with the Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini devices.
– check the version of your device under Settings About Phone section, make sure that the SM – G800R4.
– do not attempt to update any other devices with the files that you find in this post.
- download Samsung USB drivers from here.
– install these drivers on your computer, as otherwise you won’t be able to connect the phone to PC.
- for the updating process you will use the ODIN app.
– this is a small app designed for Samsung users who are looking to update their phones manually.
- for ODIN to work on your computer you need the usb drivers above to be installed, and for any official Samsung app to be blocked from running.
– also, the USB Debugging should be enabled on your phone’s Developer Options menu.
- if you can’t find Developer Options, then you should go to Settings About Phone and tap seven times on the Build Number text.
– Developer Options will now appear in Settings, open it to enable USB Debugging too.
- in case your smartphone is rooted, then you will see root access removed completely after the update is done.
– any custom Recovery that you might have previously installed will be replaced with a stock Recovery.
- you can flash the new official update over a custom ROM.
– if you decide to do that, then you need to know that you have to factory reset your phone’s system partition after the update is done.
– the ‘factory reset’ steps are listed at the end of this post.
– by factory resetting your USC Galaxy S5 Mini device you will remove the old custom ROM and wipe the system partition, but you won’t lose any data from the internal storage of your phone.
– apply the ‘factory reset’ steps only if you install the update over custom ROM or in case your device doesn’t boot in normal mode after 20 minutes after the update is done.
- if your phone is 100% stock Android, then you can get to the updating steps right away.
- install the update using ODIN only if you are an advanced user.
– we cannot be held responsible in case you brick the phone, nor in case you lose any data in the process.
- read the whole post and don’t skip any steps.
- check your phone’s battery power level, make sure that there is at least 50% left before the device switches off completely.
Now that you know all that you can get to the next part of this post.
How to flash Android 5.1.1 Lollipop G800R4VXU1BPD3 Update for US Cellular Galaxy S5 Mini:
- Download G800R4VXU1BPD3 Android 5.1.1 firmware archive from here.
- Extract the contents from the archive and save them on your PC.
– you should obtain the G800R4VXU1BPD3 tar.md5 firmware file.
– do not unzip the tar.md5 file, just leave it as it is and get to the next step.
- Download Odin3 v3.10.7 from here.
– extract the zip contents.
- Switch off the phone.
- Boot it in Download Mode.
- Launch Odin exe on your computer.
- Connect your phone to PC via usb cable.
– wait for the S5 Mini to be detected by the Odin app.
– if no device is added you have to reinstall the Samsung usb drivers.
- Go to ODIN, open “Options” tab and make sure that ‘Re-Partition’ is disabled in Odin.
– get to the next step if re-partition was already disabled.
- Click the AP button in ODIN now.
- Find and load the G800R4VXU1BPD3 tar.md5 firmware updating file.
- Hit START button in order to complete the Android 5.1.1 update process.
– don’t press anything until the update is done.
- When the update is complete you can notice the PASS alert shown by ODIN and your phone rebooting.
– note that the first boot process of this new ROM is going to take a while before it loads all the new firmware files.
- Unplug the phone from computer when the “optimizing apps” screen loads.
- Use the default login info in order to regain control over your Galaxy S5 Mini device.
These were the instructions you had to follow in order to complete the Android 5.1.1 Lollipop installation for your US Cellular Galaxy S5 Mini phone.
If the FAIL alert is displayed by Odin, then the update has failed and you will need to start over. Make sure that the phone meets all requirements and that you won’t be skipping any steps if you decide to repeat the whole tutorial more than once.
If the PASS message is listed in ODIN, but your US Cellular Galaxy S5 Mini enters in a boot loop, or it gets stuck at the boot animation screen for more than 20 minutes, then you will need to ‘factory reset’ the system partition.
The ‘factory reset’ steps below should be followed by those that have installed this official update over a custom ROM, too.
Here’s how to factory reset the US Cellular Galaxy S5 Mini:
- power off the phone.
- boot the device in Recovery Mode.
– Volume Up + Home + Power buttons at the same time.
– release the buttons when the screen flickers.
- select the ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option.
- reboot your smartphone in normal mode.
Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini Articles