The official Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow OTA Update is rolling out starting today for all the LTE Galaxy Tab S2 8.0 tablets, the 2015 model.
In case you want to install the new update manually, then you should check all the info listed in this post.
The Android 6.0.1 updates are now live for all the Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 8.0 LTE 2015 models. The roll out is done over-the-air, but that means that not all users are going to get the new firmware files at the same time as others. The tutorial below can be used by those that have installed the new update over a custom ROM, too.
Here’s what you need to know before starting the installation process below:
- use this tutorial only with the Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 2015 LTE 8.0 models.
– check the version of your tablet under Settings About Device and make sure that the SM – T715 version is listed there.
– do not try to update any other different Android devices with the files that you will find in this post.
- download the Samsung USB Drivers from here.
– install the drivers on your PC.
- for the updating process you will need to use the Odin app.
– Odin is a small tool designed to help Samsung users flash official Android firmware updates manually.
– for ODIN to work you will need to update the installed usb drivers and to enable USB Debugging from your tablet’s Developer Options menu.
– the Developer Options menu might be hidden which is why you have to unhide it by going to Settings About Device and tap seven times on the Build Number section.
– return to Settings, scroll down and you should know find Developer Options.
– enable Developer Options, then look for the USB Debugging to enable it, too.
- you can flash the update over rooted firmware, but you need to know that root access won’t survive the update.
– any custom Recovery that you might have installed is going to be replaced with a stock Recovery image.
- Android 6.0.1 update can be installed with ODIN over custom ROMs, too.
– you have to wipe the system partition by applying a ‘factory reset’ process.
– the ‘factory reset’ only deletes the installed apps and the custom ROM, no data will be lost from the internal storage of your device.
– the ‘factory reset’ steps are listed at the end of this post.
- if your tablet runs 100% stock Android, then you can continue to the next part of this post right away.
- read the whole post and do not skip any steps.
- check the battery charge level of your device, make sure that there is at least 50% charge left before it powers off completely.
- this is a guide that needs to be applied by advanced users only.
– we cannot be blamed in case you brick the tablet nor in case you lose any important data in the process.
In case you don’t want to install the update using the Odin app, then you will need to wait until Samsung pushes the new firmware in your region.
Now that you know all of the above you can continue to the next part of this post.
How to flash Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow Update for 2015 Galaxy TAB S2 LTE 8.0:
- Download the Android 6.0.1 T715XXU2BPD6 firmware archive from here.
- When the download is done you can extract the archived contents from your PC.
– you will get the T715XXU2BPD6 tar.md5 firmware file.
– do not extract the tar.md5 firmware any further.
– save the file on your PC.
- Download Odin 3.10.7 from here.
– extract Odin files and save them on your PC.
- Power off the tablet.
- Boot your Galaxy TAB S2 in Download Mode.
– press and hold Volume Down + Power until some info loads on your device.
– press Volume Up to confirm Download Mode when asked.
- Open Odin exe on your computer.
- Connect the Galaxy Tab S2 to PC via usb cable.
– wait for Odin to detect the device.
– if no Android device is detected you should try to reinstall the Samsung usb drivers.
- Go to ODIN’s main screen and open the “options” tab.
Find Re-Partition and disable it.
Don’t edit other default Odin settings.
- Click the AP tab in ODIN now.
- Load the T715XXU2BPD6 tar.md5 firmware update file in ODIN.
That’s the file you’ve obtained at step 2.
- Hit the START button to begin Android 6.0.1 flashing process.
– don’t press any buttons until all files are done installing.
- When the update is done you will see the PASS alert.
- Unplug the tablet from PC when the “optimizing apps” screen loads on your device.
- Use your default login info and take control over your tablet again.
If you’re shown the FAIL alert by ODIN, then you will be forced to try and repeat the whole tutorial more than once. Make sure that in case you repeat installation, then you won’t be skipping any steps and that your Galaxy Tab S2 tablets are supported by this guide.
If the PASS message is shown by ODIN, but your tablet enters in a boot loop or it gets stuck at the boot animation screen, then you will need to ‘factory reset’ the tablet.
The ‘factory reset’ steps are listed below and you can apply them if you have installed the Android 6.0.1 update over a custom ROM, too. Here’s how to ‘factory reset’ your tablet:
- power it off first.
- boot it in Recovery Mode.
– Volume UP + Power until the screen flickers several times.
- select the ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option.
- reboot tablet in normal mode and you are done with this post.
If you need more help completing the tutorial then you should tell us in comments.
Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 Articles